Thursday, June 08, 2017

Knock Offs.

I recently bought a pair of sports vests in a Spanish market. I paid little attention to them - they are vests which fit  - end of. But I finally noticed that the red one had a polo pony and rider logo after it had been twice through the wash.
Apparently, this is the Ralph Lauren brand. (I had to look it up.) 
Having paid a mere 5 euros - I must possibly assume that this is a knock off. (Am I now an accomplice to crime, I wonder?)
I checked on RL prices and found that their vests cost an extra £31 on what I had paid. That seems to confirm that mine is not the genuine article - SHOCK, HORROR, MIXED UP FEELINGS INSIDE.
I am actually qute happy with my vest - it will give me years of use.
How will this have cost Ralph Lauren anything? The terminally UNfashion-conscious, sensible people comme moi would never spend stoopid money like that - and those who would will still do so for the warm feeling that wearing an expensive brand so inexplicably gives them.
I suppose some would knowingly buy a knock off because they can't afford the real thing - but again - what's the big deal?
I remember a magistrate training session some 15 years ago where reps from branded companies came to berate us for not ordering hanging - complete with drawing and quartering - for anyone daring to sell knock offs.
Their arguments were unpersuasive then - and remain so today.

It just about deserves to be an offence - but I must confess to being fed up with all the gangsters of fashion.

Christian women are standing firm in the face of persecution.

How Christian women are standing firm in the face of persecution. Anita Laryea    12 March 2024. The Tears of Gold exhibition by Hannah Rose...