Friday, July 12, 2024

Redemption.

 A story of redemption.

My name is ‘Mebrhit’* and I accepted Jesus as my Saviour in 2001, but due to persecution from my family my sister and I stopped attending any Christian gathering. However, in August 2003 I rededicated my life to Christ, and then, while waiting for admission to nursing school in 2008, I was arrested at a  Bible study group. Initially I was taken to the police station and after  one week transferred to Adi Abeyto prison in Asmara, the capital.

R121 Border 630x896

The next day, because we refused to renounce our faith, I and other girls were transferred to another, notorious prison, where I joined Twen (see January’s Voice magazine for Twen’s story) and other women.

There I could not tolerate the hardship. Once I was taken to be beaten but was spared when I passed out.

Then we were transferred to Me’etr prison in northern Eritrea where I continued to suffer from negative thoughts and sleeplessness. I was not eating and lost weight. Nevertheless, I was getting good care from Twen and the others who were feeding me and praying for me.

However, after five years I began to question why I was still there and signed in order to get released.

After I went home my depression continued for more than a year but during all these times Christians were praying for me, and Twen even had someone on the outside come to visit me and invite me to a home worship group. There I started to pray and
ask for forgiveness and while praying a song came into my heart and I started to sing it. For the first time the heaviness lifted and I experienced God’s love once again.

I currently minister to refugees outside Eritrea. I am involved in street ministry and have seen many girls come to know the Lord. I preach and teach and care pastorally for those who are struggling in life.

Although painful my faith journey has helped me to understand those who struggle in life. I am grateful for the Lord has given me precious sisters and brothers who tirelessly prayed and cared for me. Release.

*Name changed to protect identity

Quite So.

The choice: civilisation or barbarism . Now we understand how the Holocaust could have happened. Melanie Phillips Oct 6   We are living thro...