Friday, April 27, 2018

Brigg Fair - A Wonderful English Folk Song. (Should Maybe Have Saved This Til August.)

It was on the fifth of August the weather fine and fair,
Unto Brigg Fair I did repair, for love I was inclined.
I rose up with the lark in the morning, with my heart so full of glee,
Of thinking there to meet my dear, long time I'd wished to see.
I took hold of her lily-white hand, O and merrily was her heart:
"And now we're met together, I hope we ne'er shall part".
For it's meeting is a pleasure, and parting is a grief,
But an unconstant lover is worse than any thief.
The green leaves they shall wither and the branches they shall die
If ever I prove false to her, to the girl that loves me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKO4lTyWbqE
Sung and newly arranged by the great traditional singer, Martin Carthy MBE.

Collected by Percy Grainger and arranged by Delius. 1906 recording by Joseph Taylor follows Martin.

Islamists Getting A Free Ride When Butchering Christians?

Over 8,000 Christians killed in Nigeria in 2023, watchdog estimates. Anugrah Kumar    16 February 2024. (Photo: Getty/iStock) (CP) Over 8,00...