Tuesday, December 06, 2016

The Crown.

Last week, I finally caught up with this excellent TV series which looked at twenty years of royal history in the UK, from 1936 onwards. It was made with an agenda of accuracy rather than any scoring of political points. Any fictionalising was kept to a reasonable minimum, I felt.
I found myself seeing my admiration for our Queen expand enormously as she was portrayed as someone who aways puts duty above all else - and she has had to make so many personal sacrifices to ensure that this happens over the years.
The Group Captain Peter Townsend affair with Princess Margaret was known to me but I had not previously recognised the sheer magnitude of that particular issue.
A sympathetic series of programmes which also granted us many insights into the politics and difficult relationships of those now distant times.

7 False Gods.

7 false gods in the present age. By  Mark Creech , Op-ed Contributor Tuesday, June 25, 2024 The study of the fall of civilizations is believ...