Saturday, October 03, 2026

Tauren Wells.

 Tauren Wells on church scandal, burnout and rediscovering God’s presence.

By Leah MarieAnn Klett, Entertainment Editor Wednesday, September 30, 2026Twitter

Courtesy of Tauren WellsCourtesy of Tauren Wells
Tauren Wells thought planting a church would be about what he could give to God, but instead, for the 11-time Grammy-nominated artist and pastor, the experience exposed how much God wanted to change him.

“I thought that I was going to plant a church and exert all of this change into the world,” the 40-year-old Michigan native told The Christian Post. “I was going to get all my ideas and all of my vision out, and I'm going to change the city and change the church. The biggest thing that has changed is me.”
 
The husband and father of four, who launched Church of Whitestone in the Austin, Texas area in 2024 after already having a successful music career, reflected on how the weight of those responsibilities became particularly acute last year when he found himself driving and feeling as though he was on the verge of a panic attack.

“I've never had a panic attack, but I feel like I was on the verge of one, just completely overwhelmed,” he said. “I was driving in my car, a million things going through my mind.”

Despite having a pastor, a supportive wife, close friends and others he could turn to, Wells said the moment revealed how isolating overwhelming pressure can feel.

“For some reason, when you're overwhelmed in a moment like that, you feel like no one can relate to you, no one could understand what you're going through,” he said. “I thought there's not one person I could call who would understand what I'm feeling right now.”

Wells discussed the experience with his counselor, who encouraged him to examine what his time with God actually looked like, and that conversation prompted a realization.

“I've been really good at doing projects with God, but I have not been great at just being with Him,” Wells said. “That has been a growth curve that I've been on for the last year. What does it look like to just be with God, not doing things for Him?”

The desire for God’s presence fueled Wells’ forthcoming live album, Here Comes the Church, which releases Oct. 2. Recorded before a sold-out crowd at the Austin City Limits Moody Theater in Austin, Texas, the project features artists from across Christian music, gospel, worship and hip-hop. CP.

The WEA.

  World Evangelical Alliance celebrates 180th anniversary The World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) has held an online celebration to mark its 18...