Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Potholes Cause Erratic Driving.

From: Keith Wigglesworth, Mead Way, Highburton, Huddersfield.
MESSAGE for all police drivers: should you be following my car and see it meandering all over the road, please do not automatically assume that a) I have a skinfull of ale; b) I have been squirting noxious substances into my veins; c) I have been stuffing white powder up my nasal orifices; or d) I have been inhaling the smoke from various burning grassy substances. I will instead, be indulging in a rapidly growing pastime that is becoming so popular, particularly in the Kirklees area, that it could very soon achieve Olympic status. I refer of course to pothole dodging (Tom Richmond, Yorkshire Post, February 24).
Having in the past faced bills for my cars of more than £250 for repairs to the suspension caused by unrepaired potholes, I am simply trying to avoid a repetition, particularly as our local authority absolves itself from any liability, despite all governments over many years taking vast sums of money from motorists in the guise of road fund taxation and returning only a small amount to local authorities for them to effect repairs to the road system.
Much of this money is simply frittered away on numerous idiotic schemes instead of being used for the very purpose it was originally intended – the upkeep of our road system.
Perhaps the name should be changed from road fund tax to say “just another way to screw the motorist tax”. But then, that would entail the setting up of a quango, plus a hundred or so sub-committees to discuss the matter ad infinitum, wasting even more Parliamentary time as we have recently seen with the gay marriage thing, when there are much more pressing matters to be dealt with, such as getting our country back on its feet again, and don’t even think about getting me started on fuel duty. Yorks Post.

Families Distraught For Ten Years+

  https://www.christiantoday.com/article/service.held.to.mark.10.years.since.kidnapping.of.chibok.schoolgirls/141630.htm Service held to mar...