Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Peter Yates - Letter In The Derby Telegraph. Pass It On To Your Friends.


I AM writing about the article on December 10 by Saros Kavina, "Is this a resurgence of Powellism in Britain?" I've always been interested in politics and in recent years have attended meetings where I could listen at grassroots level to the view of Labour, the Greens, Conservatives and Lib Dems.
If you had heard some of their ideas, you would not let them run a bath, let alone the country.
So, to see what the new kids on the block were like, I attended a local UKIP meeting.
If I had based my preconceptions of "Kippers" on the Powell article by Saros Kavina I would have been a bit nervous but there was not a racist or "little Englander" in sight.
If there is such a thing as the "average Brit", well I can now let you know where to find some, together with a whole lot of common sense.
I don't think they know the meaning of left or right. Having researched about Saros Kavina's work, the sentiment appears very caring.
But what I would recommend is to engage with a few "Kippers" before reaching conclusions based on what the chattering classes say.
The reality is very different and much of this party's thrust is aimed at changing the wasteful ways of worn-out politics.
That alone would bring huge benefits to the electorate in the most deprived parts of Derby or any other city for that matter.
So why not give them the benefit of the doubt; there's precious little to lose.
Peter Yates
Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/saw-racists-little-Englanders-UKIP-meeting-ndash/story-25768062-detail/story.html#kGVhrG9Oyrj2CR9V.01#ixzz3NN3rf4i2 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

Er ... Yes! Possibly,