Sunday, December 31, 2023

Hardly Fair.

 SIR – Recent letters have discussed inheritance tax (December 28). I am 86 years old. I was born and brought up in the Black Country, the eldest of four boys. Our father was a holder up in a steel rolling mill.

I went to grammar school, leaving at 16 with seven O-levels. I did National Service thereafter, and married the daughter of a miner. Together we made our way in life with its ups and downs, both paying our dues as required. 

We have two children and four grandchildren. I do not consider myself wealthy, my so-called estate consisting of a house I have lived in for over 50 years, plus a modest sum of savings and investments. I am advised that, on my death, as things stand, my beneficiaries will have to find around £100,000 for inheritance tax before (perhaps lengthy) probate is granted. And all this simply because I have been conscientious, prudent - and died.

The system hardly seems fair. 

Arthur Nicholls

Camberley, Surrey.
DT Letters.

Nurturing Faith.

  https://www.christiantoday.com/article/equipping.parents.to.nurture.their.childrens.faith/141641.htm Equipping parents to nurture their ch...