Tuesday, April 22, 2014

From Lancaster To Washington.

Last week I found myself chatting amiably about UK politics to a pleasant lady on a train to Washington DC. She was an Anglo-american, now largely based in the USA. Cambridge-educated she made this statement: "In the UK I have never met anyone who favoured withdrawal from the EU." (She reluctantly admitted that this might be down to the circles in which she moves.)
I listened to, and argued against, a whole raft of leftist drivel and it occurred to me that she was the very epitome of all that is wrong within liberal left thinking.
She made a number of vague points which I answered extremely factually. It was easy. She could not cope and it struck me that, in microcosm, this meeting of two people represented the world in which we live.
Wispy, untried, untested, largely unwanted philosophical ideals held as absolute truth by somebody whose grasp of the world as it is, was completely absent against someone whose political views were forged by seeing how the world really is.
Amiable as the encounter was, she was clearly battered and bruised when she saw her logic utterly destroyed. I almost felt guilty. Almost.

Excellent! Hooray!

Sex is biological fact, NHS declares in landmark shift against gender ideology. Campaigners welcome change to constitution, which will ban t...