Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hate The Sin: Love The Sinner.

I can understand this on a conceptual level and when it is regarding people you know, I find the task easier than with people I do not.
I find it nigh on impossible to love ISIS members because of their evil natures and vicious cruelty.
I have resolved that problem - in part, at least - by praying that God will either save them or remove them from the face of the earth. (I find it hard to imagine any realistic third way.)
My negative feelings against those who: attempt to create a new morality; whose folly damages our society both morally and socially;  who sideline God; who are filled with pride, arrogance and a sense of 'knowing what is best for the rest of us' - are strong and filled to overflowing with scorn.
In many ways this is the very same situation as 'hating the sin but loving the sinner'.
I have to remind myself that these people are often full of care for others and personable - it is just that the social carnage left in their naive wake is horrendous. (Many, of course, are simply self-aggrandising, malicious and laden with hubris.)
It was Bernard de Clairvaux who wrote (c.1150), "L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés ou désirs."  I do not believe this aphorism to be from the Scriptures - but it would have fit snugly into the Book of Proverbs, I believe - indeed there are many Scriptural pointers in this very  direction.

I need to teach myself to hate what they do but to love the Corbyn's, Junckers, Clintons and Abbotts of this world. It is not easy and I ask God to grant me sufficient grace to embrace that proper Christian attitude.

Families Distraught For Ten Years+

  https://www.christiantoday.com/article/service.held.to.mark.10.years.since.kidnapping.of.chibok.schoolgirls/141630.htm Service held to mar...