Friday, August 25, 2017

Awesome Stuff, Jonathan.

First of all, I am delighted that those responsible for the sexual abuse of children in Newcastle have been convicted. That those responsible for such vile acts will now be behind bars is to be applauded.
It would be inappropriate for me to comment upon sentencing before it takes place, so I will merely say that the sentence should always be proportionate to the gravity of the crime - and these are incredibly serious offences. Given the guidelines followed by judges and the examples of recent sentencing, I have to say that I have very little confidence in the system delivering true justice.
Like many people, I have concerns over the reported £10,300 payment made to a convicted child rapist as an informant in this case. This sends out completely the wrong message to the general public: crime should not pay. Nevertheless, I do wonder whether all of these criminals would have been brought to justice without it.
This is a serious moral dilemma; sometimes in politics one of the hardest things to say is 'I don't know'. I sincerely hope that the claim - that vulnerable women and children were saved from abuse as a direct result of this informant - stands up to scrutiny.
I worry that someone with such a criminal record was free in the first place to be able to act as an informant, and I worry that there are dangers in this utilitarian approach - just as I worry that so-called plea bargaining in America leads to justice for most, not justice for all.
It is reported that most of the attackers are 'Asian'. Ethnicity, nationality and culture are irrelevant: justice must be colour-blind - sentencing depends on the crime not upon who has committed it. There can be no excuses: the law is the law.
If it should turn out that any of those convicted is not a British citizen, then naturally I believe (as I do with any foreign criminals) that they should be deported.
This type of crime devastates lives. It is appalling that such crimes have so often gone unpunished thanks to a level of political correctness which has put cultural sensitivities above the rule of law - indeed, above right and wrong. I've seen on a personal level how this kind of attitude can impact on thinking amongst those whose primary duty should be to ensure the safety and welfare of children.
In our failure as a society to place the rights of victims above those of criminals, sadly we all too often fail the victims. In this case, the perpetrators have been brought to justice. The true tragedy is the number of times that criminals get away with their behaviour.

Birdie.