Sunday, December 21, 2008

Circumlocution.

Dickens' Little Dorritt had faded away into the dim and distant recesses of my memory until the recent BBC production.
There is 'something about Dickens' which I really like - and quite often, it is not easy to put your finger on precisely what that might be - especially in view of the bulk of his characters being unashamed stereotypes.
Little Dorritt contains the oh-so-wonderful circumlocution office - a veritable ministry of naked bureaucracy, created out of utter pointlessness and designed to frustrate the citizenry whilst feathering the nests of the idle elite.
You have to wonder what a latter day Dickens would have made of the European Union.
[If my latin were better I would of course know if my interpretation of 'circumlocution' as 'talking around in circles' were sufficiently valid.]

My feeling is that if Charlie had been alive today, he would have been a fervent member of UKIP!

Danger Alert.

The broken immigration system is now becoming dangerous. The Home Office already has some serious questions to answer – as does the Ministry...