Saturday, April 28, 2012

Steel.

I recently listened to the RadioBallads by John Tams & JulieMatthews which looked at steelmaking in Sheffield - naturally, from a leftwing perspective.
The album clearly blamed Margaret Hilda Thatcher for the steel strike and the decline in manufacturing.
I worked on Scunthorpe Steelworks in The Appleby-Frodingham Rod & Bar Mill back in 1970 and so I know whereof I speak - from closeup, personal experience. Moneywasting was legion.
I was not surprised that governments could not afford to massively subsidise this ad infinitum.
By TACKLING the problems - Maggie Thatcher SAVED steel in the UK. She is given NO credit. Without her tactics NOTHING would have survived the 'dumping' from our EEC 'friends' and derisory labour costs in the Far East.
Margaret Thatcher may have got a lot wrong but Steel was NOT one of 'em!

Phew.