Thursday, November 23, 2006

Unfair practices.

I first encountered continuous assessment during my four year degree course and it made an impression. Those parts which were exam-based, I had to understand and learn. When the exams arrived, I had to revise it ALL. But when the course used continuous assessment, I only needed to do it once AND I could be selective and omit much material altogether. The end result being that I knew some parts considerably less well than others.
There has been a frenzy of coursework in the last 30 years - all achieving the same, inferior results.
When I began teaching, I was obliged to set, mark and grade CSE papers in French, Spanish and European Studies. I was also required to visit other schools to 'check' their grading and it was immediately apparent that standards varied wildly by up to two full grades and although theoretically you could challenge this, it would have needed enormous amounts of moral courage, as you 'rocked the boat'. Teachers favoured their own pupils; presented dishonest samples for moderation; massaged grades and 'guided' pupils.
The honest teacher is then in an invidious position. If you do not adopt the same practices your candidates are severely disadvantaged. If you do, then you have difficulties sleeping at nights.
A neutral examination system is a must. All setting and marking should be external. Any other system will always contain unfairness.
The arguments which were usually based on 'some pupils can't do exams' are weak and can in no way justify wrecking the former quality which had existed. Little wonder that examination grades are so 'improved.'


The system promulgates passive knowledge at the expense of active knowledge.

Reform UK Have Done The Job.

In the local elections, Reform UK has inflicted inestimable damage onto the Tories. Well done guys! The Tories MUST learn that if they are n...