Saturday, July 11, 2009

Community punishments.

I may well have given the erroneous impression that I do not believe in Community Punishments. This indeed is far from the truth.

My problem is with the half-hearted work orders based around five hour days. [Five?]

My problem is with rates of orders being breached which can run in excess of 50%.
My problem is that such breaches rarely result in custody.

My problem with CROs [probation] is that probation officers see themselves as an extra advocate for the criminal classes who have already enjoyed legal aid.

My problem is that in the early stages of an order, a decision will be made as to how many times the offender will be seen. Over a year this might well average out to little more than a rather pathetic visit per month!

My problem is that so many people are classed as 'unable' to do a work order - because "As he is a druggie - you are setting him up to fail!"

My problem is that so many felons are automatically given orders, having failed to respond to them in the past, because amazingly prison will not be a permitted option.

The system is far from rigorous - and I have personally visited bail hostels, various work projects and I was for a number of years a member of The Sheffield Probation Liaison Committee. I know whereof I speak!

Reform UK Have Done The Job.

In the local elections, Reform UK has inflicted inestimable damage onto the Tories. Well done guys! The Tories MUST learn that if they are n...