Friday, September 13, 2024

Nigeria.

 'For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.’   1 Corinthians 1:25

It was my privilege to interview many people during my trip to Nigeria earlier this summer, including the Reverend Gideon from Plateau State. On Christmas Eve 2023 his village was attacked. He said, ‘I lost everything: my wife, my children, and all I possessed; food that was harvested, storage – everything. It was a terrible event. Eight or nine people were martyred. I lost my wife, Hanna, my daughters Lois, Patience, Success, Doris, and my son Rohi.’
 
Gideon has struggled terribly since the attack, but he went on to say, ‘Now, I thank God, with tears, for the Stefanos Foundation [Release International’s partner in Nigeria]. They gave me food, a bed, somewhere to sleep.’  At first, Gideon’s faith was deeply shaken by the attack, but now he says, ‘I now know that the wisdom of God is more than the wisdom of men. His plan is more than the plan of man. His thoughts are not our thoughts. He allowed this to happen for a purpose. God preserved me for the sake of the gospel: I'm alive to spread the message.’
   
‘When I returned to the village, one of the Fulani saw me and called out, “Pastor!” I replied, “how are you?” at which point he cried. “Pastor, you came back and greeted me. No-one greets me, as I am Fulani.” I said, “I greeted you because I know the person I serve.” He was deeply affected when I accepted his handshake. So, now, if I see a Fulani man, I offer forgiveness. I pray for him.’

Gideon’s account of forgiveness is amazing. Truly, only the grace of God can empower someone like that. 


Previously:

Allister du Plessis.

Pagers.

  The primary reaction to the idea of placing an explosive device into 5,000 or so pagers is surely one of utter horror and disgust. However...