Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oy! I ain't fick, innit?

'The intellectual ability of the country's cleverest youngsters has declined radically, almost certainly due to the rise of TV and computer games and over-testing in schools.
The 'high-level thinking' skills of 14-year-olds are now on a par with those of 12-year-olds in 1976.
The findings contradict national results which have shown a growth in top grades in SATs at 14, GCSEs and A-levels.'


I have been making this point non stop for many years and it has now been reinforced by a study from Kings College. My time as a teacher coincides most congruently with these dates and at last, I have some evidence for the frequent claims that I have been making along these precise lines and the overview must obviously have a strong link to the disappearance of Grammar Schools.
The decline has been a grave concern to me as the social consequences are potentially horrendous. Thus far, the evidence has had to be largely anecdotal from me and countless others.


Perhaps the most frightening of all these was when a Doctor, who was a teacher of medical students at the local university, explained to me how he had been an unwilling partner in the covering up of this point when taking on students to do Medicine. Students of considerably lesser ability than some 25 years ago were being granted places on the courses - and were of course, passing with flying colours.


LINK:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080791/Dimming-How-brainpower-todays-14-year-olds-slipped-radically-just-generation.html

Shame On You, Daily Mail, For This Immoral Jibber Jabber From A ... Well. I'd Better Not Say It!

  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13300045/JANA-HOCKING-five-reasons-youre-not-getting-laid-dates-Im-guilty-two.html