Friday, February 27, 2009

Avoiding banks.

Many banks should currently be avoided like a dose of the black death.
May I humbly suggest that CitiBank - the sidekick of BMI Baby could be considered worthy of being shunned?
These pair offered my wife and me The CitiBank/BMI Baby credit card with their representative assuring us that signing up and spending just £100 each would result in two free return flights to any BMI Baby destination on any date 'subject to availability' - which upon interrogation the rep stated categorically, at least three times, had no special meaning.
We checked the rules in the literature with the card which made no mention of 'promotional offers'. However, as soon as we tried to get the relevant flights to our chosen destination, these magic words appeared out of the ether! We had been victims of 'fraudulent misrepresentation'.
The couldn't-give-a-monkeys' attitude to this by BMI Baby over three months has been simply appalling.
A month ago I explained this to CitiBank on the phone and was promised a written response in 4 - 7 days. I am still waiting!
Last week, I rang them repeatedly and only ever spoke with the utmost politeness.
I was kept on hold interminably; I was cut off twice; I could not get one person to even take my phone number and when I finally got somebody to take it with a promise for somebody more senior to ring me back within minutes - NOTHING.
Currently, the Police, the Civil Aviation Authority, the Financial Ombudsman, Sheffield Trading Standards and Consumer Direct are involved.
I am not finished.
Soon they will both be getting some rather unwanted publicity.
The money? - I do not care too much but I shall not let these people off the hook even if it takes years.
THE CONSUMER MATTERS!

Phew.