Friday, February 06, 2009

A poem.

Musings of a Happy Has-Been

I am old; I live in the past of farm cottages and cart horses,

Of two mile walks to school and the strap for being two minutes late.
I live in the past when lawbreakers were punished and not excused,
When the local policeman kept law and order by ignoring judges rules.
I live in the past of air raid sirens and long dead regimental friends.
I am alive, but do not live in the boring present of drug abuse,
Of unpunished crime, overpaid footballers,and luxury in prison cells,
Of uncontrolled youth whom no-one dares to challenge.
I am bored by the present; of rule by alien politicians
And pop singers and soap actors who are called heroes.
I am bored by the present stupid phrases, E-mail, and the Internet.
What of the future, shall I live in the future?
No, it terrifies me.

Donald Arnott. [1924- 2004.]

Phew.