Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Failures in languages.

The Daily Mail item which stated that adults only tend to recall some seven words of an entire foreign language studied in school is of little surprise to me.
When I took 'O' levels in French and Spanish back in 1968, I estimate that I had needed a vocabulary of some 2,000 words. 'A' levels in 1970 required about 8,000 in each to achieve university standard grades - before we even consider grammar.
When I trained to teach languages in 1974/5 I was horrified to find that 'memory was being abolished' as it was 'not a particularly important part of education'.
Well, I finished teaching languages this year and what a long and miserable struggle it has been. Had I not gone part time in 1990, I feel that I could not have survived.
If children are not required to use their memory to a significant degree across the curriculum, it is to be expected that languages, which must have a large body of active rather than passive knowledge, will be regarded as a particularly difficult option by most pupils.
I have taught other subjects to examination level and they are utter simplicity by comparison.
What the experimenters with education have done to damage children in the last forty + years fills me with absolute horror.



LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=472704&in_page_id=1770

Iran.

https://www.christianpost.com/voices/iran-in-bible-prophecy-and-its-rise-in-aggression-against-israel.html Iran in Bible prophecy and its ri...