Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Who needs help?

As a christian, I am always anxious to see the needy given help. I actively support a number of charities. My problem is that I strongly disapprove of helping those unwilling to help themselves.I object to the state granting extra provision for pensioners who have not attempted to provide for old age themselves. To me it is morally reprehensible that the state should attempt to raise their living standards to the same level as those who have taken care throughout life, often making significant sacrifices in order to be in that position. It is simple fairness.This is complicated as an issue but there should be evidence that the government is at least attempting to address the matter.At the same time I am horrified by the conditions in which some pensioners - possibly those who have been on very low wages throughout life - have to live.All very difficult - but it must be sorted. Similarly, I want to help the unemployed but if there is no job 'of the right type available' I believe you should have to take any job until you are in a position to choose. Jobs must be allocated - and accepted. This would mean that the simplistic arguments "We need immigrants to do the jobs our people won't do" becomes an immediate dead letter.
As previously mentioned, I favour limiting the amount of unemployment benefits available during a lifetime. I am desperate to help the disabled but even there, unless the disability is extreme, I feel that they should be found suitable work. We are currently a society built on excuses. We help all sorts of people not worthy of help and I do not believe that Jesus was ever a supporter of the wanton and the feckless.
We must become more discriminating.

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...