Friday, June 26, 2009

Coursework.

I was one of three teachers last night in discussion about coursework in GCSE exams and the reaction was heavily negative.
This is unsurprising when you realise just how much dishonesty, Internet cheating and parental assistance goes into the submitted work.
We are told that in future, coursework will have to be done in school - and - wait for it - supervised!
The trouble is that students will be allowed to bring in their NOTES - so just what will have been gained?
With the exception of subjects such as Art and various craft areas, coursework is not even theoretically advisable.
I did a four year university course in Spanish. Years One and Four were examined, Years Two and Three were continuous assessment. When facing exams I had to do all the work and thoroughly. When assessed, all I had to do was to major on the items I was tested on and could safely ignore the rest.
When examined, I had to revise like crazy; when assessed, I had nothing to do at the end of the year.

As a teacher of RS, I am delighted to report that this iniquitous way of testing pupils has been scrapped in my subject, at least.
I am also chuffed that me being used as an unpaid worker for the exam boards for a week every year has gone with it!

Er ... Yes! Possibly,