Monday, June 29, 2009

The writer.

So, then. Where do I stand politically?
It is a fair question from readers of this Blog and is not so easily answered.

Primarily, I oppose leftwing politics, whether old-style or new liberal. But can a person be defined by what they are not?

At one time, I would have been seen as a rather orthodox Conservative - and I have not changed too greatly from that position - but the Conservative Party certainly has!
I am a democrat - perhaps rightly called a Christian Democrat - although hardly in the vein found in a number of European countries currently.

I am a radical non-extremist and believe firmly that social changes should never be matters of whim or experiment or guesswork. Indeed, I believe firmly in 'If it ain't broke - don't try to fix it!'
In many ways I should be seen as a Gladstonian Liberal, I suppose.
I have libertarian tendencies but would also try to draw moral lines in the sand.
I believe in local democracy and oppose political centralisation. I am a strong pragmatist.
I do not believe in waste, unnecessary pollutants and the mindless destruction of our rural heritage which gives me something of a green tinge.
I believe in the Rule of Law and sensible and traditional civil rights which prevent the possibility of governmental excesses.
I am a monarchist - albeit a rather lukewarm supporter.
I am a patriot but one who accepts that my country can be wrong. I have no imperialistic leanings.
I despise 'rule by bureaucrat' and believe in the UK as an autonomous nation. I emphatically do not believe in serving up our birthright to other powers.
Underpinning all of this is my evangelical starting point.

Families Distraught For Ten Years+

  https://www.christiantoday.com/article/service.held.to.mark.10.years.since.kidnapping.of.chibok.schoolgirls/141630.htm Service held to mar...