Saturday, June 17, 2017

If It Ain't Broke ...

I hate change. My enemies will immediately accuse me of being some kind of ultra-conservative stick-in-the mud - and they would be totally wrong.
I actually embrace progress.
But ...er ... er didn't you just say the exact opposite to that a moment ago?
Well. I suppose that I'd better explain. What I actually hate is change for change's sake. It very seldom ends well. I am a great believer in the maxim "if it ain't broke - don't fix it!"
'Progress', which is based on (usually but not exclusively) leftist guesswork, will generally lead to a situation which is inferior to its predecessor.
As a principle, change should only ever be undertaken where there is certainty that improvements will ensue. Merely hoping that a system will be better should lead to its summary rejection.