Sunday, August 22, 2010

Beggars.

As a Christian - and hopefully a reasonably generous one to boot - it pains me to have to write this piece of advice:
NEVER GIVE MONEY TO BEGGARS IN THE UK!
Peter Hitchens outlines the reasoning in the link below.

If you are truly convinced that the person is in need - and it is all too easy to fall for a sob story - then you must act in a Christ-like fashion.
Offer alternative help. Buy them the sandwich and cup of coffee they claim to be begging for. Add a pastry, if you will.
BUT please, do not put your money into the pockets of drug dealers which is precisely where the vast majority goes.
Ask yourself the question too. In our welfare state - who can possibly need to beg? I was not always so wise.
I was once enjoying a coffee in a bar on the Gran Via in Madrid and having a chat with the barman when a dirty, unkempt, gypsy beggar came in - a truly piteous figure.
I reached in my pocket for a coin whereupon the barman shrieked 'No!' and made the man leave.
He went on to tell me that this very man had been featured in a documentary on TVE. In today's terms - he was 'earning' about £70 - 80K a year!

Mind you. In the poverty of Bangkok earlier this year - I felt it right to break my rule.
"As wise as serpents - as gentle as doves."
Do right. Shunning wisdom is not part of that.

LINK:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1305026/PETER-HITCHENS-These-beggars-helpless-casualties--black-eye-proves.html

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...