Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dyslexia.

'Schools should stop labelling children 'dyslexic' because the condition cannot be distinguished from other reading difficulties, an all-party group of MPs will declare today.' Good!

In my experience it is not so much schools who 'label' children as it is their parents.
In all too many cases where a child is doing badly in school - an excuse MUST be found. Dyslexia is a most convenient peg on which to hang this particular hat!
Far too loosely diagnosed, often 'dyslexia' is used to turn the child into a victim which ultimately helps nobody, indeed it will often exacerbate situations.
Justifying failure is always a disaster for the child's development.
If you are dyslexic then you may well start with a disadvantage but this requires effort to overcome and not platitudes.
I may be a touch cynical - (What do you mean that you had spotted that?) - but I also note that certain organisations depend on the diagnosis of dyslexia for their very existence .... This is also the case with a number of other childhood 'conditions' which may well exist but can be exaggerated or again, be too loosely diagnosed.
(My Mum was so over-protective when I was a child, I am certain that if these conditions had been around when I was a nipper - I would have been dragged along to confirm as many as possible!)

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...