Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Indeterminate sentences? What is the point?

Twice in two days I have had to consider appalling failings in, what should now perhaps be referred to as, our INjustice system.
An effective seven year sentence on Vanessa George for her most heinous of crimes is simply derisory. The tariff is disguised under the auspices of a so-called 'indeterminate sentence' - a term of utterly mind-numbing meaninglessness.
That one of her partners in crime should have received an even lesser disposal beggars belief.
At this point, the lamentable do-gooders largely responsible for these atrocities will be rushing into the 'judgement mode' which is the accusation which ironically, they will level against me.
"He wants vengeance not justice" they will shriek in the very highest of dudgeon.
I, at least, am able to distinguish the one from the other.
Justice is neutral: revenge is personal. What is required here is simply retribution - a right and proper punishment which is commensurate to the crimes committed and is imposed without the intervention of ones own feelings. When I took my oath as a JP, the promise was "To do right." Naturally, this does include recognition of the degree of seriousness of any given offence!
Using my critical faculties, I can state unequivocally that Mrs George's sentence fails as a meaningful deterrent; it does not offer adequate protection to society; rehabilitation is simply not a relevant issue; social vindication is absent.
It is about time that our hogtied judiciary was freed to give the kind of sentences which the public have a right to expect. I have no doubt that the judge here was not 'acting under orders' as such but I can assure you all that he will have been 'acting under the egregious guidelines' which currently infest the system courtesy of our 'friends' from the liberal left!

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...