Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Questions which have not been asked.

I make no direct comments on the execution of Akmail Shaikh earlier today by the Chinese authorities but rather, I have a number of questions I would like to pose which have certainly not been highlighted by groups such as Amnesty, The Mental Health Lawyers Association, Gordon Brown's Government and Reprieve:
1) If Mr Shaikh was as 'mentally ill' as claimed by his family why did that family allow him to wander the world joining in some rather 'colourful' activities? Isn't it amazing how frequently 'mental problems' suddenly become centre stage when consequences of actions must be faced?
2) Do I really believe that he could be unknowingly carrying 9lbs of pure heroin?
3) If he had sufficient intelligence to travel - a most complex process in a modern world, particularly to the remoter areas - is it not rather difficult to believe that he could have been so easily 'tricked' into carrying the drugs, the standard excuse trotted out whenever anybody is caught moving drugs?
4) What was Mr Shaikh doing, other than attempting to smuggle drugs, in the remote town of Urumqi? I had never heard of Urumqi. How does a man from Kentish Town end up there I wonder and for what honest purpose?
5) Why has there been no statement to indicate that Mr Shaikh had no significant criminal record? The weasel words used by the lawyers concerned have certainly made me wonder.
6) I have heard of two deaths in the last 24 hours - both of people I had never met.
One was executed for carrying a parcel containing death and destruction, the other was a Christian lady who had done little but good in her life and had not invited in the cancer which was to kill her. Which death should I regret the most?
On a spiritual level I come to a different conclusion to the one I reach on the social one!
7) Which government is caring most - the one which takes drug smuggling to be a crime of the utmost seriousness and responds accordingly or the one which would have given an eight year sentence and then released the perpetrator in under five?
8) How many Brits will now think twice before attempting to smuggle drugs into China?
Incidentally, my own response would be to execute the 'Mr Bigs', the drugs barons of the smuggling world, and would not especially target the 'mules' but if China takes a different opinion to such socially destructive individuals - that is not really any of my business.
Only where people are persecuted on grounds of race, belief, proportion, gender and similar have I the right to comment on how another country acts.
Incidentally: 'As for the mental illness so often cited as a defence for Shaikh's actions, bi-polar disorder is a condition that affects mood, not cognition.'

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...