Thursday, December 03, 2009

The glass is less than half empty!

As I move into what is probably the last quarter of my life on this planet, I do so with a great sadness for the world I will at some point leave behind.
In my life there have been the most wonderful changes imaginable in standards of living, choice, technology, medicine and much much more.
Tragically, at the same time, Man has gone backwards both spiritually and socially to the extent that a simple recognition of 'right and wrong' is absent from many folk whose capacity to think has been reduced to the level of the political soundbite.
Politically, the society we inhabit is more deeply flawed than at any time in recent centuries; we have stopped going forwards along a democratic path; we have regressed - and this is recognisable over less than two decades.
One must assume that it is prosperity more than any other factor which has stopped people seeking God. No longer are they interested in the pursuit of truth and reality.
It is all very sad and I intensely dislike the age I live in. Prosperity is a wonderful thing but if it is responsible for the kind of spiritual apathy observed, with an increase of the 'good seeds falling onto the path', I am not sure how much I want it. (And how many people would even understand the reference I have just made?)
This age had the opportunity to do great things for humanity's development - but failed the test.
If you are over fifty and care to list the things we have lost since you were young - you may be astonished. That list is a long one! Even if over thirty five, you must have some strong sense of that decline.

I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed. I Respect George As A True Christian. (Yet Still in The CofE.) My Own Feelings On This Matter Remain Mixed.

Former archbishop George Carey backs assisted dying campaign after 'conversion'. EXCLUSIVE: Lord Carey said the Church of England, w...